Productive soil that made me who I am.

• Hits : 948
  • Registration Date : 2014-09-16
HYTKpigOkXUprGkDhyNn.jpg
HYTKpigOkXUprGkDhyNn

QandA.jpg

sub1.jpg

remote.jpg

My senior year in college, I happened to join the Driverless Car Project through a research team of Korea Institute of Industrial Technology (KITECH).

I was first introduced to UST while working on the research together after two months. A majority of the researchers were seniors and came from UST.

Research was interesting and the seniors were all nice. The research infrastructure of KITECH was all satisfactory. Then I realized that UST is oriented toward on-site practical education, and at the same time allows students to directly participate in research, which meant I could work on study as much as I liked. So, I determined to enter UST. 

sub2.jpg

finger.JPG

In fact, I changed my dream many times, like other students.

In elementary school, I dreamed of becoming a painter as I loved to draw pictures. When entering middle school, I admired scientists and during my years in high school, I actualized my thoughts gradually, and found I had more interest in engineering than in pure science.

Oh, I remembered that I wanted to be a drummer while playing drums in Christian Religion Club in high school.

Before the College Scholastic Aptitude Test, I considered being a theologian because I was deeply religious. 

Looking back on those past days, I vaguely thought about ing my own business when I grew up, seeing my father do business.

sub3.jpg

You can say so. As mentioned previously, from my years in high school, I had consistent interest in engineering, more specifically moving things like a car or airplane. I was often unaware at the time of being engrossed in studying basic physics and understanding the principles of ment.

What brought me to choose Mechanical Engineering as my major in UST was the desire to learn and brush up on more practical study.

sub4.jpg

huka.jpg

As I had indirectly experienced life as USTian before my entrance, it would be more correct to say the expectation and the reality were in the same line.

Above all, the most attractive educational program to me was the ‘UST Student Research Guide.’ Two times every month, UST students and doctor-level researchers from each project team, including flying robots, dogs & horses robot, wearable robot, were gathered together to have a discussion.

I could learn a lot not only from UST professors but also from seniors & juniors and colleagues specialized in each field. I was given a precious opportunity to build up various pools of knowledge in other fields within the range of robots.

In the course of the learning experience, I additionally obtained the know-how of discussing and presenting. Since opening a business, I have realized how precious that time is to me.

sub5.jpg

It was the dynamic modeling and control of a duct fan-typed small drone. I participated in a series of processes, such as mathematical modeling of a flying robot, design of the flying controller, verification via simulation, and application to an actual product.

As the flying robot team I belonged to defined a clear research direction in the initial stage, I was able to concentrate further on what I intended to do. 

sub6.jpg

threeman.JPG

Sang-Ki Ji, president of BYROBOT, was my immediate senior in the flying robot team of KITECH. Meeting him gave me momentum to up a company. We hit it off really well from our years in the team and prepared to found a company.

In time, I applied for the Technology Fund Support for Start-ups offered by Small and Medium Business Corporation and became a successful applicant. Immediately after that I founded a company, in August of 2011. At the incipient stage, the company was run with President Ji being in the lead and I joined the company full time in 2013 after I completed my graduation thesis.

While preparing for founding a company, I struggled to keep a balance between the time for work and the time for bonding with my family. I got married just one month before my graduation thesis examination. No matter what I look like, I really am a family man. (Laugh)

sub7.jpg

IMG_5558.JPG

When I was facing challenging times commercializing the first model of BYROBOT for two years, I got a chance to have job training in the US.

Listening to a lot of advice, then, the company made a tough decision a few months later. The company decided to developing the first model and instead, to develop a totally new type of flying robot, one demanded by the market. 

One year later, a toy-type flying robot, ‘Drone Fighter’ by BYROBOT‘ which was developed entirely with domestic technology, went out into the world.

It took the relatively short period of one year to commercialize the new product despite changing the development direction. This achievement is, I think, attributable to the lessons learned from trial and errors with the previous model, and the solid technical skill acquired at UST.

sub8.jpg

First of all, Drone Fighter is really easy to fly. Only a 10-minute long exercise allows anyone to fly it easily. The simple structure of the design offers easier maintenance than other competitors.

Being smart is another important merit. It’s possible to play a flying game and an exercise of an actual flight on a PC with the exclusive flying simulator application.

Above all, Drone Fighter is really fun to play. Simple manipulations achieve 360 degree rotating flying in all directions, allowing even beginners to enjoy the pleasure of flying to the fullest.

And, the battle-game function is the icing on the cake. While flying the Drone Fighter, friends or family members can use an infrared missile attack to shoot down each other. Battle between groups as well as one-to-one battle is possible. 

sub9.jpg

IMG_5628.JPG

As the title of Strategy Director hints, the core part of my duty is to formulate a strategy which would make a difference for the future of the company.

Since Drone Fighter was released at the end of last year, many efforts have been being made to narrow the difference of views between a developer and a customer. These efforts will play an important role in organizing the portfolio of a succeeding model.

To put it in more detail, I listen to the voice of the market from the point of view of a developer and the story of a developer from the point of view of a normal customer. I intend to work out a viable strategy by integrating these two opinions. 

sub10.jpg

First, the top priority is to have Drone Fighter become a byword for Quad Copter-type flying robot, and moreover, to evolve BYROBOT to become a best manufacturer of drones. We need to be the best domestically to become the best in the world.

More details are confidential company information. Please keep your eye on our company if you have any questions. 

sub11.jpg

Surely enough, UST was a blessing for me. It’s safe to say that UST decided a direction not only for my job but also for my life.

I met good people I wanted to spend the rest of my life with when I was a member of USTian and learned skills that powerfully supports me from sharing time together with them.

In short, UST is like very productive soil which made me who I am.

sub12.jpg

sky.JPG

I feel that I have too few experiences to give advice like ‘You must keep this in your mind.’ But, I have a few things to tell you about what I’ve felt so far.

First, I’d like to emphasize that reality is much tougher than in my prior preparation and expectations.

First, I’d like to emphasize that reality is much tougher than in my prior preparation and expectations.

It would be very helpful to make good use of the many Start-ups support programs being operated by the government and public agencies. You should do a lot of legwork in an effort to find what program is best suitable for yourself. This is a very fundamental effort.

side.JPG

Additionally, you can successfully found a company if you have a ‘good’ partner of like mind.

When I asked senior founders for their advice, ‘People are the most important asset’ was the wording that I heard the most. As time goes by, the wording becomes more meaningful to me.

Besides, though it may not be directly related to ing a company, I’d like to suggest something to you, as a senior of UST and guide for life.

Before deciding whether to establish a company or find employment, it would be good to build values concerning the way you will lead the rest of life.

You have to find an answer by ceaselessly asking questions about yourself.