Global
Establish global status as a national research university

Improving brand value
Improving cooperation network

Smart
Establish creative knowledge management system

Providing creative educational environment by applying cutting-edge technology
Improving management effectiveness

Enjoy UST and Prepare Yourself for a Different Future! (Jo Yoon Sang, Studied ships and ocean engineering at the UST-KRISO)

• Hits : 945
  • Registration Date : 2015-07-28
jkFUFRPXQRGzKpVvKPGf.jpg
jkFUFRPXQRGzKpVvKPGf

What career paths do UST students take after graduation? You may think that most of them will become researchers. If so, you will be surprised to see that UST graduates are making a difference in more diverse areas than you may think. Many of them become researchers, of course, but there are many others who find their way into major companies or find their places in areas completely unrelated to their original major. 

Jo Yoon Sang is one of the UST graduates who is building his dream to become a researcher in his respective area of expertise. He has some advice to share with other USTians who are concerned about their future. He suggested to make use of the resources at UST as much as possible, and take the initiative to choose what your future will be; do not settle for what you have right now.

web015.jpg

Q. First, may you briefly introduce yourself to our readers?

My name is Jo Yoon Sang. I began my master’s degree at the KRISO Campus in 2013 and graduated in February 2015. However, I am still a freshman career-wise. It has only been a month since I began working for Korea Register, or KR.

Q. Korea Register. That name may not sound familiar to many of our readers. Could you tell us what it does?

It is a familiar name for people who have dipped their feet in the field even once. For others, it may sound unfamiliar. KR Engineering serves as an inspection agent that reviews and approves design drawings ted by shipbuilders or equipment companies. Only two companies provide this type of service in South Korea. One is Korea Ship Safety Technology Authority, and the other is KR Engineering. However, most ship design drawings go through KR Engineering, because the Korea Ship Safety Technology Authority is authorized to approve only ships not exceeding a certain size. KR Engineering is an international-grade register company that is capable of inspecting large ships such as midship section and general arrangement.

Q. How did your learning at UST help you with your work at KR?

If you are asking if I already have applied what I studied at UST to my current work, the answer is “not yet.” The subject I studied at Korea Research Institute of Ships and Ocean Engineering was the “behavior of floating bodies.” To be simple, it involves holding a floating object with a tight rope and create waves to measure the object’s vibration or ment. This type of research is focused on “input,” so to speak, in that it involves taking measurements while creating artificial waves.

My work at KR, on the other hand, is focused on “output.” Because it is about determining if a ship’s body is sturdy enough to withstand waves, and granting an approval.

Still, my years at UST will surely work in my advantage in the long run. In fact, I think one of the reasons KR hired me was that they were looking for a person who can be well-opinionated from both the input and output perspectives. You might also say I was lucky because I turned in my application when opinions from both perspectives have come into high demand.

web016.jpg

Q. I am sure you are being modest. There has to be other reasons.

Luck would count for nothing unless other conditions are satisfied. In my opinion, two factors affected the challenges that I took after graduation. The first factor is the competitiveness of the UST Campus, and the second factor is thinking outside the box.

Q. Can you be more specific?

First, let me tell you about the competitiveness of the UST Campus. The name “UST” is still relatively unknown. The UST Campus, however, has all the benefits as a government-funded research institute. It offers the best research conditions, and the faculty consists of well-known names in the international research community. Learning from the best under the best conditions. That is competitiveness. That was the point I emphasized when I applied for my current position at KR.

The second factor is thinking outside the box. With this, I am taking a different approach. The research-centered atmosphere of UST may limit the career choices of its students to positions at research institutes. I wanted to break away from that limitation. When I tried to widen my perspective, I began to see far more diverse career paths. That is how I came to apply for Korea Register. The future is an open book for UST students with high level of research experiences.

That is the advice I would like to share with my fellow UST students. First, take pride in the competitiveness of the UST campus, and be confident to show it to others. Second, challenge the future with a wider perspective.

Q. I understand that you also actively utilized UST’s recruitment programs. Would you like to share your experience with the program?

I entered Korea Register through an open recruitment. In the course of the recruitment process, I had UST’s recruitment program, “Graduate-centered Recruitment Consulting,” an open recruitment process consists of various stages, such as qualification, document review, and interview. Through it, I got a detailed advice on how to write a cover letter and received a collection of materials on job interviews, which were very helpful.

Q. I think you will be a great role model for our alumni.

I would not call myself a role model. However, I wanted to tell my fellow USTians that you have all the reason to be proud of your campus and your professors. You need to think about the possibilities other than working at research institutes, and you can widen the range of possibilities open to you by utilizing the programs offered at the campus to prepare yourself for the future.

In fact, I wrote a letter to the Dean at the bulletin board of the Campus Web site after graduation, while I was still looking for a job. Writing the letter was my way of strengthening my resolve, as one of the first UST graduates for my major. I realize I have on my shoulder a significant responsibility. It is with this thought that I go forward and open a new path for myself.

Q. Thank you for the great interview. Lastly, if you have any specific plan or resolution for the future, please share it with us.

KR has very few new recruits because the company prefers people with more experience. I may be the only one without practical experience in the company. A month has passed now, and I am determined to dedicate myself to the work there if for no other reason than to prove that the company chose the right person. Also, the first question I was asked in the job interview was, “what is UST?” I will distinguish myself with my hard work so that more people will know about UST.

I want to stress one more time that the opportunity to sit face to face with world-renowned scholars is a great advantage in itself, and make full use of the best research conditions at the campus. Also, open up your dreams and take the initiative to find your career. Of course, you will have to keep in mind that you are a student, more than anything. Thank you.