Global
Establish global status as a national research university

Improving brand value
Improving cooperation network

Smart
Establish creative knowledge management system

Providing creative educational environment by applying cutting-edge technology
Improving management effectiveness

The Foundation of National Competitiveness Built Up Based on Well-Organized Evidence ( Professor Jae-soo Kim, KISTI Campus)

• Hits : 332
  • Registration Date : 2016-06-29
qkOgZHaKOvUGCrEjKWyI.jpg
qkOgZHaKOvUGCrEjKWyI

In the state-of-the-art science and technology sector where many countries are having fierce competition, information is a country’s competitiveness and technological power. In 2006, KISTI launched the world’s first national R & D knowledge portal, NTIS. Information has been rising as the most important asset ever in modern society, which is formed based on knowledge. We met up with Professor Jae-soo Kim of Science and Technology Management Policy Major at NTIS center in KISTI campus.

05 (3).jpg
Please introduce us to NTIS.

NTIS is a knowledge portal that provides data analysis service by integrating all outcomes of research and development projects that have been led or supported by the government. NTIS is the world’s first portal that provides all information of national R & D projects including human resource and test equipment data. In the early stage, we faced much difficulties in cooperation with external agencies for data transfer or information connection. With the support of the government, we developed a certification mark to give more confidence in data collection to researchers and, sometimes, we even begged other institutes for information collection. 
It has been 10 years since NTIS was launched. Now, many researchers use NTIS in obtaining ideas and understanding the research status in topics they are involved in. It also helps them manage research tasks to a significant extent and it also act as a guide for students in their job search and career design.

You became a professor while you were working in KISTI?NTIS. What made you decide so?

It’s been five years since I started teaching in Science and Technology Management Policy major. Dr. Sang-pil Lee, who taught R & D Planning and Management, introduced NTIS in his class and asked me to give a lecture about it. After a few rounds of lecture, I recognized that science and technology policy needs an evidence-based ground rather than one based on rule of thumb. Evidence means quantitative numeric values derived from data analysis. My teaching career began with the necessity of nurturing a talent pool who can plan and establish science and technology policy based on evidence.

How much do the students usually use NTIS? 

They prepare their research paper by conducting their project using NTIS data, and other major students outside of KISTI campus also actively participate in field research with regard to the use of NTIS. The Science and Technology Management Policy puts subjects for its major course based on evidence. For example, when we search for ways to promote tech business, we can come up with government grants or joint researches with prominent researchers of foreign countries. In collecting correlated factors and deriving causal relationship, NTIS data is indispensible. 

05 (1).jpg
You have concurrently worked as head of NTIS center and professor until last March. Didn’t you have any difficulties of dual jobs?

Activity as a professor does require exerting more efforts for doing additional jobs aside from the basic duties. So, it is not an excuse that you do not complete a part of your job because you are focused on another part. Rather, I had a lot of advantages. I can attend conferences with my students and could coordinate NTIS-related tasks with other jobs. Being the head of the center did a positive role in creating an environment where students could have various experiences. 

You are awarded with an Excellent Lecturer Award in 2015. What do you think made you win the award?

I thought students had a thirst for the self-leading researches, so I thought about how to quench their thrist. I witness a lot of times that students in field research were frightened of data analysis and testing as they were less experienced. I believed that my role in research projects were to encourage students to obtain knowledge through trials and errors and to have confidence in themselves. ‘Self-fulfillment obtained through overcoming fear and limitations’ was the key part of my education philosophy and, luckily, it played its role well.

We wonder about your future plans.

We are going to spread Korea’s technical prowess by exporting the NTIS system and transferring relevant technologies to overseas countries including Kazakhstan and Vietnam. To this end, we need a strategy for system localization and human network establishment with researchers at its center. We will focus on fostering global experts by recruiting local students and so on.

Could you give any piece of advice to students?

In Science and Technology Management Policy major, the focus should be on management and policy. Regardless of sectors, we need to deal with a large category of management policy. Graduate students in the UST course include students from humanities and social study majors as well as engineering majors. It makes the Science and Technology Management Policy major much different from other majors. When I see students of various undergraduate majors publish their research papers in a time as short as one semester or attend an international conference, I feel rewarded as their teacher. It is why I have expectations for the relationship I would make in the future with new students. I hope that all students I am now with will become leaders in the development of science and technology management policy.