Global
Establish global status as a national research university

Improving brand value
Improving cooperation network

Smart
Establish creative knowledge management system

Providing creative educational environment by applying cutting-edge technology
Improving management effectiveness

[Vol.20] A Resolutely Determined Mind Will Enable Any Dream Come True (Sun-joon Kang, UST-KIST Campus, Science and Technology Management Policy Major)

• Hits : 207
  • Registration Date : 2016-12-28
28-31[Reflections on teaching]강의단상3.jpg
28-31[Reflections on teaching]강의단상3

Professor Sun-joon Kang introduced himself as an "evil teacher." That is, his class is really demanding to follow and he deals with his student so strictly. But unlike his own introduction of himself, his students explained him as a teacher who they wanted to follow their entire life. As the "Tiger" teachers in school days are remembered long, maybe Professor Kang also wants students to remember him for a long time. We met with Professor Sun-joon Kang, who is self-proclaimed evil teacher and a veteran in the field of research management and security more than a decade.

Q. The field of "research achievement security" sounds a bit strange. You are said to be playing a leading role in this field. Please describe the field of research management and security for the readers.

Research and development (R&D) investment of Korea is one of the largest in the world, but efforts and studies to manage and secure the outcomes are relatively poor. In particular, compare to private sector, the legislation efforts for research achievement security in the area of national R&D projects lags significantly behind.

I have been working in the KIST policy planning team for the past 16 years. I have introduced a knowledge property-based research security concept to the security system that have mainly involved physical and managerial measures such as prevention of physical pilfer and check of confinement devices. And I tried to communicate this concept with peers in the same field.

Q. This year, you received the award of "2016 Industrial Technology Protection Award" in recognition of your accomplishments in the field of research contract, management, and security including the legislation efforts pertaining to science and technology related laws and industrial technology protection laws.

I still have a lot to do and long way to go. But I think that they gave me such an honorous award to cheer for my efforts that I have made for long. Especially, I believe the starting point that led me to the honor is UST textbook publication project. This project has published and in 2013 and 2014 that are currently being used as a textbook.

As I have been in the field of research management for a decade, I came to have crave for establishing up a concept and writing it in theoretical form. I had conducted various academic activity including thesis publication, and in the mean time Dr. Yoo-hyong Won, who is currently the head of the policy department, recommended me as a teaching researcher of UST, and that's how I became a member of UST six years ago. The textbook publication project started with data gathering since when I attended training program in Thailand in 2009. As there was no similar publication before, it took long years to prepare for the book. As much I feel pride in the book.

Q. How are the practical works of the past applied to your class?

Based on experiences and cases that I have went through, I am teaching students what security precautions they should take in their research through the course of the entire research project. I have witnessed and felt regretful that researchers, who are devoted to their projects day and night, have ignored or not been aware of the significance of security, so valuable research results were extorted or leaked by legitimate methods (such as contracts). That's why I share my concern about practical solutions for security problems with students not only in Science and Technology Management Policy major but also in other science and engineering students.

Q. You also received an Excellent Lecture Award in 2015. What do you think is the reason your lecture is evaluated positively?

The characteristic of my lecture is that it is thoroughly practical and case-centered. It also guides students to the process of creating tangible results in class and makes them have a sense of accomplishment. Once we organized what we have discussed in the class as a thesis and received the Best Paper Award at the competition held by the Korea Electronics Association last October.

In addition, I strongly recommend students to use public lectures such as MOOK, which is recommended by UST, and encourage students to study their interest area at the end of a semester and contribute or present their study result to external journals.

Q. You are very actively working in various activities such as research, writing, lectures, and classes. What is your driving force?

I enshrine four character idioms of Jo-gap-cheon-jang(爪 甲 穿 掌). It means the finger nail grows and penetrate the palm. I've went through a big surgery in my youth and was almost dead. Since then, I have believed that at least once I should do something that I have decided to do with resolutely determined mind. There were many difficulties in the past, but I was able to achieve what I have now because I continued to make persistent efforts.

Q. Please tell us your vision and goals for the future development of science and technology management policy.

The role of science and technology as well as of scientists and engineers is very important for Korea to leap into the status of a developed country. Suggestion of direction and establishment of strategy is the part science and technology management policy can assume. The Science and technology management policy has presented theoretical framework, but it seems that it failed to practically reflect the voices of the people in the field. In the future, I will devote myself to nurturing talents who are capable of establishing policies applicable in the field including research management and security.