Global
Establish global status as a national research university

Improving brand value
Improving cooperation network

Smart
Establish creative knowledge management system

Providing creative educational environment by applying cutting-edge technology
Improving management effectiveness

How to Change the world? Follow your dreams!

• Hits : 1963
  • Registration Date : 2013-01-21

How to  the world? Follow your dreams!
Can you introduce yourself briefly?.
HI I’m Joao Victor. I was born in Argentina and lived in Brazil since I was two years old. Since my father's Argentine and my mother's Brazilian, I have citizenships of both countries. I have older sister and brother also born in Argentina, and my younger sister was born in Brazil. At UNICAMP, State University of Campnias, I majored in Electrical Engineering.
UNICAMP is known as one of the best universities in Brazil. How was your life in Brazil?
My family d to Brazil for my father to pursue his education in master's course at UNICAMP. Naturally, I had lived in Campinas since I was very young. I went to a private elementary school and went to a public technical high school. As all the other public Brazilian universities, UNICAMP doesn't charge students with tuition, however, the national exam is needed to admitted. After graduating highschool, I took a year off and studied for the exam.
Engineering course in Brazil usually takes five years, four years lecture and 1 year for internship. I came to UST during my second semester in 2010 at UNICAMP.
When did you come to Korea? Don't you miss your hometown or family?Please let me know about your family.
I ed my master's course in UST in the fall semester of 2010, so it's been a year and a half since I arrived. I miss my family and friends but with the help of Internet, it's not that hard to get in touch with them. Luckily, I could make many Korean friends who are just like family now. Whenever I'm with them, I feel like I'm home again.
I've heard your purpose of coming to UST was to learn high speed railroad technology. What made you to choose the specific field and UST?
I have always been curious about trains since I was a little child, but the critical moment for me to decide on studying railway electrification was during my visit to Korea, Japan and France in 2007. I rode the TGV in France, and got very impressed with the KTX and the Shinkansen in Korea and Japan. After the trip I decided to pursue my master's course in this specific area.
In fact, it was a little difficult for me to find a university which offers the area I wanted to study since the topic is not that well-known now. With UST, I found KRRI first and talked to one of the professors who later introduced me UST. I think I was very lucky to have the professor who helped me find KRRI and then UST.
Could you pleas tell me what you are studying and what research you are participating in now?
My research is in wireless power transfer systems applied in railways. This technology is maily about supplying electricity to a train without physical contact between the train and the power source. Instead of using a catenary and pantogragh to grant the contact between the train and the electric line, the wireless system uses electromagnetic induction between coils, one's installed in the track another in the train. Nowadays my research team and I are ing the construction of a prototype to test a new set of coils.
I want to ask you what inspired you to be a scientist? Why did you choose this field?
I’m a very curious person, and I have always wanted to know how things work. I thought being a scientist suits for me since I would have new questions and challenges all the time. My field of research is the one that converge my interests, electric power system, railway electrification, electromagnetic theory.
You are the only Brazilian student at UST. How is your life at UST and Korea? Do you have any problems or inconveniences?
My life in Korea is very good, in the beginning was little difficult because is not that easy to get a cell phone or contract internet when you are a foreigner, but with help from UST colleagues and coworkers I could handle it. I really like to live here I have a lot of friends. I can’t speak korean properly but I can understand quite well so for everyday life I can do everything without too many problems.
What do you think of the education of Science in Korea? What is the big difference between Brazil and Korea?
Brazil and Korea have different educational cultures and that reflects directly in the science education. Here in Korea, there are much more students in science and technology proportionally with we consider with Brazil. Another point here in Korea is that the important thing for the graduate students are papers, in Brazil, final thesis is what matters. But the biggest difference of all is that in Korea everyone goes to school, but in Brazil we have a part of population that still don’t know how to read or write.
What do you usually do when you feel lonely in foreign country?
When I fell lonely I try to meet my friends. I like going to a latin club called, Caliente in Itaewon. Or I also enjoy going to a bar in Suwon, the Now Bar. At such places, I wouldn't feel lonely because I can find at least one person I know.
Another thing I like to do when I feel blue or miss my home country, I go for Judo. While practicing Judo, I feel like I'm refreshed and it's kind of a self-treatment for me. But when all of those thing don't work and I still feel lonely, I follow my mom'm advice, "Eat Argentine or Brazilian foods."
Do you usually have good time with your colleagues or students?Please tell me some memories with them.
In KRRI campus, students meet twice a month for the monthly seminar we have where each of the students presents his research topics and we have dinner together after that. We live nearby so several times in the weekends, we meet to have drinks or talk. The best memories were the workshop that we have once a year. Usually we go to a nice place, have presentations and dine and enjoy the time together with games and lot of talking.
What is your plan or resolution for the future?
My plans for the future is to my master's course, do a doctoral course and then go back to Brazil to research railway electrification there to help my country develop. Another dream is to become a professor to teach all the things that I have learned here in Korea.