Establish creative knowledge management system

Providing creative educational environment by applying cutting-edge technology
Improving management effectiveness

Making culture and connections

• Hits : 1531
  • Registration Date : 2013-09-25

RXRKENeVBgRzMXRrcgNA.jpg

XuYzBNIZvJDzomhpAvZQ.jpg

Q. Nice to meet you. First, please introduce us to the UST Korean Club.

Zhang  
Our club was formed by those among the foreign UST students that had a high interest in the Korean language and culture. This is the second term that we have been active. Together with a Korean teacher, we see movies, try Korean food, and visit famous tourist destinations. Instead of simply learning the language, we can feel and experience Korea firsthand and get closer to it. It may be true that attending Korean classes will improve your Korean language skills, but the classes usually don’t come with opportunities to learn about Korean culture. It feels great that we can do that at the Korean Club. 

Q. What is the hardest thing in learning Korean?

Didem 
When I first ed out learning Korean, the differences between my own language and Korean made things hard for me. However, there are many interesting things about Korean as you learn more and more into it. There seems to be a uniqueness to the language that sets it apart from others. Above all, I feel the writing and pronunciation are systematic. So while it was difficult at first, once I understood the principles, Korean became much easier for me. At some point, I grew a desire to become more fluent in Korean. I hope to be diligent in my research as well as my Korean studies through the Korean Club activities.

Zhang  
Our club was formed by those among the foreign UST students that had a high interest in the Korean language and culture. This is the second term that we have been active. Together with a Korean teacher, we see movies, try Korean food, and visit famous tourist destinations. Instead of simply learning the language, we can feel and experience Korea firsthand and get closer to it. It may be true that attending Korean classes will improve your Korean language skills, but the classes usually don’t come with opportunities to learn about Korean culture. It feels great that we can do that at the Korean Club. 

Didem 
When I first ed out learning Korean, the differences between my own language and Korean made things hard for me. However, there are many interesting things about Korean as you learn more and more into it. There seems to be a uniqueness to the language that sets it apart from others. Above all, I feel the writing and pronunciation are systematic. So while it was difficult at first, once I understood the principles, Korean became much easier for me. At some point, I grew a desire to become more fluent in Korean. I hope to be diligent in my research as well as my Korean studies through the Korean Club activities.

Zhang   

Didem 

kuQjcHGTKlGkJzZFAOaV.jpg

Q. Was there a special reason for choosing UST?

Didem 
I searched schools for about eight months after arriving in Korea. I found out about UST at that time and now I’ve studied here for three years. Above all, UST seems to be a school where there are various opportunities open to foreign students. Maybe that’s why there is a high proportion of foreign students, and there is a good system established for students to study comfortably. I am currently undertaking a doctoral program at KIER, and I am satisfied with my current school life where I am not only learning Korean but also working on a study that really boosts my major.

Puong  
Most of all, UST provides a lot of support as a school, which is great because that allows me to study and conduct research comfortably. I think the greatest advantage is that not only can you simply learn from the school, but you can also experience firsthand a variety of fields while carrying out real-life projects at the labs. All in all, I would like to use this opportunity to convey my thanks to the professors and fellow students that helped me greatly in participating in the classes.

Q. Do you have any particularly enjoyable memories or episodes from your school life?

Aiyu
The class trip I took last semester was a memorable event for me. It was even more enjoyable as I was accompanied by friends with whom I grew close at the Korean Club. I had bibimbap one of the dishes that represents Korean food in Jeonju, and visited various cultural heritage sites there as well. I was particularly glad since there hadn’t been many opportunities to meet students from other campuses given UST’s special circumstances.

ZZcKUTSUdOzBEhhlvjUj.jpg

Q. Is life in Korea difficult at all? What was your most memorable moment in Korea?

Zhang 
When I first came to Korea, I didn’t know much Korean. One of the most difficult things to do was to ride a bus. I used to memorize the number of s in advance by doing an Internet search on the bus route using my mobile phone. It has been about two years since I first arrived, and now riding buses is a piece of cake. My Korean improved greatly while attending classes and participating in the club activities. This is all thanks to the professors and Korean teachers who gave me lots of lessons regularly.

Aiyu
Communication was the biggest difficulty when I first came to Korea. Occasionally I used English instead of Korean, but it was hard to carry a conversation, probably because our pronunciation and vocabulary were different from each other. I guess that was the reason why I studied Korean even harder. I grew more interested in not only the Korean language but also in Korean culture while working hard at my Korean classes and preparing for the Korean language exam (TOPIK).

Q. Do you have a Korean dish that you like especially?

Didem

Korean food is very different from Turkish food but there are lots of delicious dishes. Recently I had Korean-style bulgogi and I was very surprised. It suited even my Turkish palate very well. It was even more amazing because I could directly observe the making of the dish at the restaurant. Other than that, I also like galbi and samgyeopsal. My favorite Korean food by far is patbingsu, made by adding milk and red beans to crushed ice. I found that Korea has a great variety of cookies and ice cream. A while back, I had some ice cream shaped like a fish, and that was fascinating and fun. Most of all, it had the best taste.

Q. How would you describe Korea’s uniqueness from your experience during your study here?

Puong 
Everything is convenient in Korea. Internet is available wherever you want, not to mention transportation. Besides, it is great that there are many convenient amenities that help you in your studies and daily life.

Didem
Living in Korea, most of all I felt that Korea was quite safe. Security is well established wherever you go, and so I could be out without worry even at late hours. As a matter of fact, I traveled to many countries in the world and I never felt as safe as in Korea. I feel Korea is truly a great place to live.

Q. What are your future plans? Any special wishes?

Didem 
I hope to work in Korea once I complete my PhD program. Moving forward, I should study Korean even harder to that end. I also wish to discover even more of Korea through active participation in the club activities.

Puong
I plan to prepare for my doctoral program at UST as soon as my master’s program is completed this term. I am undertaking my master’s program now at KIMM, and I hope to delve deeper into my studies by doing my PhD degree at the same institute.

Aiyu
I am set to graduate at the end of the next term. I want to continue living in Korea after my graduation, either doing a PhD degree or working. I like the classes at school, and it is just so fun to learn Korean. I hope to prepare meticulously for the TOPIK test to receive a higher grade than what I have now. Also, I hope the club becomes even more active so that I can study Korean with more friends.

Zhang
I have one more term left in my master’s program, and I hope to spend time with my family back in China after graduation. This is my second term participating in the Korean club. There are many foreign students who are very interested in Korean but don’t know about our club yet. I hope those students will participate in our club’s activities and get to enjoy their overseas study even more.