Global
Establish global status as a national research university

Improving brand value
Improving cooperation network

Smart
Establish creative knowledge management system

Providing creative educational environment by applying cutting-edge technology
Improving management effectiveness

[Vol.20] The World of Challenger Expands Endlessly (Cristobal Santiago Bravo, UST-KRISO Campus, Ship and Ocean Engineering Major / Master's Course)

• Hits : 329
  • Registration Date : 2016-12-28
17.jpg

It is said that birds have wings because they want to fly, not that they fly because they have wings. The word quoted a passage by a prominent philosopher may be a dedication to the challengers who fill the inaccessible gap between the land and the sea to find new growth engines. Cristobal Santiago Bravo, who believes that the development of ship marine engineering opens up a new sea, is adapting to the new world we met through UST. The word "challenger" is too narrow definition for him who are evolving day by day by materializing the goals set by himself.

Growth story from a brilliant young man from Mexico

Cristobal, who is spreading his happy virus throughout the interview with his inherent sense of humor, becomes earnest when the topic turned to engineering. The young man from Mexico enjoys the process of exploring and learning about the unknown world.

"I majored in civil engineering in Mexico. I have been working at a research institute and involved in a project related to offshore plants. The Korean guy that I met there told me about UST programs, specifically about KRISO campus. I was looking for a master's degree program in Japan, Brazil, and other countries. In fact, Ship and Ocean Engineering is a totally different field from my undergraduate major, but I thought the basis of 'engineering' is the same. I also remembered that I enjoyed the marine projects I have experienced at the institute."

Cristobal is extremely satisfied with his choice, which was made by intuition at the time. He is always trying to find a better way to increase his chances of growth, casting a question, "Why not?"

"UST has all the advantages of a government-funded research institute. Facing internationally renowned researchers in the best research conditions is a great competitive advantage, and I am enjoying the opportunity to the maximum."

KRISO campus has differentiated expertise

Cristobal has lived in Korea for three years, and he has acquired Korean and Korean culture one by one.

"A few days ago, I went to see the Hanwha baseball game, and I was fascinated by the passionate cheering culture and "Chi-mac (Chicken and beer)." (Laughter) I started to learn kendo here. The basics of samurai are 'training allows you to respond immediately to whatever happens.' I have to develop swordcraft with my everyday efforts and prepare to use the sword in a reflexive way at any occasion. Before learning how to defeat the opponent, I have to learn how to win myself. And even after knocking down my opponent, I have to be ready to suppress him completely and prepare myself for any possible attack."

He joked that maybe because of the vein of water running deep under the KRISO campus, his habit of digging systematically from the basic theory to the application method helps his kendo practice.

"A variety of simulation experiments are held every day in the KRISO towing tank, which is equipped with the best measuring system, laboratory equipment, and researchers. I work with my colleagues to send a variety of information to the control computer, including resistance to the model vessel, engine performance, and changes in posture of the stem and stern, and apply the numerical results to real vessel. I write the result of the simulation as a report and announce it at national or international conferences. Everytime that I do it, I feel as if I am growing up by inches. Like Columbus' egg, everything that could have been done easily is bound to go through trials and errors at the initial stage. But it is the beauty of our job.(Laughs)"

Cristobal, who asserts that a research is not going to be done well by oneself, says that meeting the best partners was the greatest luck of your life.

The future energy in blue ocean

He looked seriously serious as he watches carefully how artificial tides, winds, and waves affect a ship. KRISO is accelerating the development of next-generation ship and offshore structures with its advanced research facilities such as a ship model test tank, a large cavitation tunnel, an ocean engineering tank, a ship simulator, a soil tank, an underwater acoustic tank, and a deep sea ROV. The buoy has been put on the sea just before. After graduation from UST two years later, Cristobal will return to Mexico to share and develop what he learned in Korea.

"An offshore plant that is attracting attention as a future industry is literally 'the factory of the sea.' I would like to be a useful link in the grafting and conversion process of marine science, which emits even greater energy at the Blue Ocean, which still has unlimited potential. I also want to be involved in the research exchange between industry and academia for practical use of marine plant technology and close support for industry. The most interesting subject is Floating Production Storage Offloading (FPSO). FPSO vessels are a collection of cutting edge science for producing, storing, and transporting oil products as well as extracting crude oil from the sea floor. I hope that maritime engineering, which I will study, record and disseminate, will be the most energetic power that the world will meet."

Cristobal, who has always internalized new processes and built a foundation for future growth, once again shines a green light by saying, "Every moment is not the end. It begins with new goals." Overcoming boundaries and myths and preoccupying future technology for advancing on the wider ocean is the endless question and answer he gives to himself.