UST Student Bill of Rights
The purpose of the UST Student Bill of Rights is to affirm that all UST members" dignity, freedom, rights, and other inviolable basic human rights remain invariably valid at UST, which is a national research university serving as an intellectual community, and to allow all UST members to enhance the school"s level and establish a progressive culture of research and education.
Chapter I General Provisions
Article 1 (Definitions)
- 1 For purposes of this Bill of Rights, "UST" refers to UST headquarters, all schools/campuses, institutions operating majors, etc.
- 2 "Student" refers to all students undergoing a degree program at UST.
- 3 "Study and research" refers to the activities of attending lectures and performing research during a degree program.
- 4 "Research outcomes" refer to papers, publications, and all research-related outcomes achieved during a degree program at UST.
- 5 "Member" refers to current UST students, professors, staff, and all persons directly or indirectly hired by UST.
- 6 All other basic terms not defined herein shall be in accordance with the definitions stipulated in school regulations or socially accepted ideas.
Article 2 (Applicability)
- 1 This Bill of Rights shall apply from students" admission to their completion of study by graduation, drop-out, expulsion, etc.
- 2 UST members shall clearly recognize and respect the rights of students identified in this Bill of Rights.
Chapter II Rights of Students
Article 3 (Human Dignity and Value)
- 1 Health and marriage, maternity protection, family life, and any other matters related to individuals" dignity and value shall be considered before research and study, and no one shall harm individuals" dignity and value under the pretext of research and study.
- 2 Students shall have the right to study and research in an environment that respects individual dignity and value and free from physical, psychological, or sexual violence.
Article 4 (Rights to Equality)
No students shall be discriminated for reason of gender, nationality, ethnicity, race, age, disability, religion, pregnancy and childbirth, or political or personal orientation.
Article 5 (Rights to Study and Research)
- 1 No opportunities for study and research legitimately guaranteed to students shall be deprived of unreasonably, and all students shall have the right to study without interruption for any unreasonable grounds until they complete their degree program.
- 2 Students shall have the right to professional and adequate guidance from UST and their academic advisors with respect to their majors and research topics.
- 3 Students shall have the right to use on-campus research space and supporting facilities to the extent necessary for study and research performance.
Article 6 (Rights to Fair Evaluation)
- 1 Students shall have the right to fair evaluation based on legitimate procedures and objective standards with respect to their study and research results.
- 2 Students may raise an objection to evaluators in the event they suspect a lack of fairness in evaluation of their study and research results, and such evaluators shall provide sufficient explanation thereon.
Article 7 (Intellectual Property Rights)
Students shall have the right to being credited as first author or co-author, depending on their contribution, for any research outcomes they participate in, such as provision of research ideas and participation in the research process.
Article 8 (Privacy and Right to Refuse)
- 1 Students shall have the right to protection from unreasonable infringement of privacy, and shall be guaranteed freedom of private activities outside predetermined time for study, research, or work.
- 2 Students shall have the right to refuse any unreasonable demand that has no relevance to their study or research and is in contravention with socially accepted ideas.
Article 9 (Rights to Health, Rest, and Safety)
- 1 Students shall have the right to sufficient and adequate rest for healthy and continuous research activities, and shall undergo sufficient and adequate treatment in a timely manner, where necessary.
- 2 Students shall have the right to conduct research in a safe environment, and UST shall have an obligation to take necessary and sufficient measures to build a safe research environment.
Article 10 (Rights to Teaching Assistant Activities)
- 1 Students shall have the right to specifically learn about work hours, details of work, scholarships, and other related information from UST in the course of being selected as teaching assistants.
- 2 UST shall select teaching assistants based on transparent and fair procedures and objective standards.
- 3 UST shall not alter details of work activities for any unreasonable ground.
Article 11 (Freedom of Speech)
Students shall have freedom to express their opinions about UST and society based on the basic rights guaranteed by the Constitution.
Article 12 (Right to Know)
- 1 Students shall have the right to know all information necessary to rationally set study plans and career in relation to their study and research.
- 2 UST shall disclose decisions related to students" study and research and details thereof in a transparent and easily understandable manner.
Article 13 (Rights to Participate as Members)
- 1 Students shall have the right to being respected as equal members of UST and shall have the right to organize or operate organizations with independent right of decision-making to officially present their opinions.
- 2 Students shall have the right to have a representative to present their ideas on UST policy that affects their study and to prevent unreasonable violation of their rights.
- 3 An official organization of students shall have the right to be notified by priority if a decision-making consultative organization of the students right is made.
- 4 An official organization of students shall have the right to be notified of schedule by letter with sufficient interval to adequately represent the right of students in decision-making process.
Article 14 (Other Rights)
Students" rights shall not be unreasonably infringed upon for the reason that they are not listed in this Bill of Rights.
Chapter III Duty of Students
Article 15 (Duty as Members)
Students shall faithfully comply with school rules and procedures as members of UST and shall endeavor not to damage the honor and property of UST.
Article 16 (Study and Research)
- 1 Students shall have the duty to create an exemplary academic atmosphere within UST.
- 2 Students shall have the duty to faithfully perform study and research, and through this, students shall endeavor to inspire core values of UST, creativity, convergence, challenge and credibility, and to improve academic reputation of UST.Article
Article 17 (Research Ethics)
- 1 No students shall engage in an act against research integrity such as forgery, falsification, plagiarism, or unfair indication of authorship, with respect to research proposals, performance, reporting results, and presentations.
- 2 Students shall have the duty to execute research funds of a research project they participate in, in a fair and transparent manner in compliance with the criteria.
Article 18 (Facility Use and Safety)
Students shall responsibly use on-campus research space and supporting facilities necessary for study and research, and shall have the duty to faithfully comply with school safety regulations to create a safe research environment.
Chapter IV Supplementary Provisions
Article 19 (Remedy for Infringement)
- 1 In the event their rights are infringed, students shall have the right to notify UST of such infringement and request investigation and rectification thereof, and UST shall perform such activities professionally and neutrally.
- 2 No students shall face any disadvantage due to notification of infringement, and shall have a right to confidentiality so that they can avoid unreasonable harm.
- 3 Students shall have the right to raise an objection based on school policy in the event the relevant issue is not properly resolved, and UST shall take measures to swiftly resolve the issue.
December 19, 2017
4th President Kilchoo Moon
12th President of Student Council Sangwon Park